Resources to help with the aircraft purchase process
Video: The Prepurchase Inspection
A pre-buy inspection on an aircraft is your chance to research and investigate every aspect of your potential investment. The prebuy should include a thorough inspection of the mechanical as well as cosmetic condition of the aircraft. In addition, the legal status of the aircraft needs to be looked at. This includes ensuring that the FAA records on the aircraft are up to date. An often overlooked step of the pre-buy is investigating which STC’s are legally installed on the aircraft. This video discusses what to do if STC paperwork is missing.
Vref—Know the Value
Use AOPA’s aircraft valuation service, provided by Vref, to perform an aircraft valuation online. Find out about:
- Aircraft value
- Typical add-on equipment
- Performance and specs
- Engine data
Tips on Buying Used Aircraft
The purchase of an aircraft is a major commitment that should be carefully considered. This is especially important when buying a used aircraft. Before considering a purchase, read these tips on buying a used aircraft.
Forms for Buying and Selling Aircraft
- Aircraft Registration (AC Form 8050-1)
- Aircraft Bill of Sale (AC Form 8050-2)
- 8050-3- Current registration in aircraft, back filled out, signed and sent into FAA.
- Information if registering aircraft in an LLC
- Sample Aircraft Purchase/Sales Agreement
- An airworthiness certificate usually is transferred with an airplane when it is sold, but the certificate alone does not fulfill the regulatory requirement. A buyer must ensure that the airworthiness certificate is, as the regulation specifies, current.